Tuesday, July 5, 2011

44 %

Learn to do good.  Seek justice.  Help the oppressed.  Defend the orphan.  Fight for the rights of the widows.  
Isaiah 1:17


44 % of the children currently living in Cite Soleil (the slums of Haiti) are Restavek children.  33% of the households in Port Au Prince, Haiti's capital, have a Restavek.  A very conservative estimate is that 225,000 children are currently Restaveks.

The facts are mind boggling.  It is difficult to wrap my mind around the reality.   225,000 children.  Beaten, uneducated, malnourished.  I pray God gives me the courage not to look past these statistics, but to understand that each number represents one of His creation.

The LORD replies, "I have seen violence
     done to the helpless
  and I have heard the groans of the poor.
Now I will rise up to rescue them,
     as they have longed for me to do."
The LORD's promises are pure,
     like silver refined seven times in a furnace,
     purified seven times over.


Therefore, LORD, we know you will protect
     the oppressed,
   preserving them forever from this lying 
     generation
even though the wicked strut about,
   and evil is praised throughout the land.


Psalm 12: 5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment